.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Road to Motherhood

This blog started in October 2003 when I found that in another 8 months I will become a mommy. The purpose of this blog was to document my pregnancy. In June 2005 I restarted this blog to document my second pregnancy. My second child is now three months old. I am restarting this blog yet again to keep in touch with friends and family and to complain about life.

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Little Munchkin is sick - a flu, an ear infection and as an icing on top - he is teething. Last night he threw up all over me - twice. Big Munchkin has another series of nosebleeds. Twice in the last two days. The one that happened last night looked terrifying. The blood was pouring all over her. Hopefully, it is not going to continue. Local doctors are useless. They say that nothing can be done and she'll outgrow it.

Today I took them to the aquarium. I bought another annual pass for myself and Big Munchkin. We actually had a really nice time. Big Munchkin behaved herself - walked with me, looked after Little Munchkin and generally followed instructions. Little Munchkin was very impressed with the fishes. He did not try to run (much). He was quite mesmerized with some of the fish tanks.

Last weekend I took Big Munchkin to the theatre to see Handa's Surprise. It is an African book for children. The play was done very nicely. Big Munchkin and I quite enjoyed it. Funny part for me was that it is an African story, but there was not a single non-white child in the audience. I find this pattern repeats in all the activities we do. The paid activities attract only white people. Free activities are dominated by Indian/Asian women. The Caribbean population, which is very high in South London, is nearly or entirely absent. This Saturday, my DH is taking Big Munchkin to see another play.

Big Munchkin has also started her private swimming classes. It is going very well. She likes her teacher and I think she is progressing well. Her teacher does not think that Big Munchkin can swim on her own yet. Simply because she is just too small. But her teacher thinks that Big Munchkin can start diving. That is what they are going to concentrate on in the new year. I also moved Big Munchkin's Mandarin language class to Saturday. I can't see anything in the dark and driving her in the evenings for that class has been terrifying. I really don't think that I can do that anymore. So, now her class schedule is going to be a bit strange. She will have gymnastics and ballet on Tuesday, drama and French on Friday and Mandarin and swimming on Saturday. We have a regular playgroup on Monday and a regular play date on Thursday. I am going to try to arrange a regular play date on Wednesday and that should complete our schedule.

Little Munchkin does not do any regular classes right now. I found that for one reason or another we end up missing more classes than we attend. When he feels like it I take him to playgroups and to drop in music classes. I am thinking of signing him up for a new music class, but I haven't decided yet. The problem is that it has to be a class that starts exactly at 10 am. It is the only time that would allow me to drop of and pick up Big Munchkin from school without extra stress. I still don't know if he gets a space in the gymnastics class, but I am not too stressed if he does not. He is too small for that class. I would not mind waiting till spring. He and Big Munchkin are on the list for a soccer (European football) class for March. It is on Monday after the playgroup. I think they would like it. They did not get a space in the arts class, but that is OK, since I've been doing lots of things with them at home. That class is very expensive anyway.

I am thinking of getting a private French teacher for Big Munchkin, but it is still a thought. Private teachers are expensive. It also has to be a teacher who is used to working with kids and who would get along with Big Munchkin. She really does not like her current class. I paid for a next term, but I am getting to the conclusion that a private teacher would be a better option. I am waiting to see if my DH gets good bonus and a salary increase before I make any decisions on this front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home