One of the things that I miss in Britain is the partying. And I don't mean going out to a pub and getting drunk with mates. This is very British kind of partying. I am talking about good family fun partying - Thanksgiving, Easter, Halloween. Good family fun kind of partying. Brits don't have Thanksgiving since they don't have anything to be thankful for. They do have Guy Fawkes night with its brilliant fireworks and they do have Christmas. But they really don't do a proper Halloween. Here Halloween is all about fear - witches, devils, vampires, skeletons. It is not about fun. No one dresses up here as Thomas or Mickey Mouse. Trick-o-treating is looked upon as begging. Often people would give money instead of candy. It is not a funny and joyous evening. I miss good Canadian Halloween. We did sent the kids trick-o-treating. Little Munchkin reused Big Munchkin's old pumpkin outfit and Big Munchkin dresses up as a Blue Princess. They teamed up with the neighbours kids and when to a few houses nearby. That was all Halloween. Next year I might try to organize a party myself. Maybe.
On the Road to Motherhood
This blog started in October 2003 when I found that in another 8 months I will become a mommy. The purpose of this blog was to document my pregnancy. In June 2005 I restarted this blog to document my second pregnancy. My second child is now three months old. I am restarting this blog yet again to keep in touch with friends and family and to complain about life.
Monday, November 05, 2007
One of the things that I miss in Britain is the partying. And I don't mean going out to a pub and getting drunk with mates. This is very British kind of partying. I am talking about good family fun partying - Thanksgiving, Easter, Halloween. Good family fun kind of partying. Brits don't have Thanksgiving since they don't have anything to be thankful for. They do have Guy Fawkes night with its brilliant fireworks and they do have Christmas. But they really don't do a proper Halloween. Here Halloween is all about fear - witches, devils, vampires, skeletons. It is not about fun. No one dresses up here as Thomas or Mickey Mouse. Trick-o-treating is looked upon as begging. Often people would give money instead of candy. It is not a funny and joyous evening. I miss good Canadian Halloween. We did sent the kids trick-o-treating. Little Munchkin reused Big Munchkin's old pumpkin outfit and Big Munchkin dresses up as a Blue Princess. They teamed up with the neighbours kids and when to a few houses nearby. That was all Halloween. Next year I might try to organize a party myself. Maybe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home