.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Road to Motherhood

This blog started in October 2003 when I found that in another 8 months I will become a mommy. The purpose of this blog was to document my pregnancy. In June 2005 I restarted this blog to document my second pregnancy. My second child is now three months old. I am restarting this blog yet again to keep in touch with friends and family and to complain about life.

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Monday, June 09, 2008

Last week Little Munchkin had an assessment with private speech therapist. She was not entirely sure whether he is autistic or not. He does have a developmental delay. She thinks that with respect to his understanding and communication he is at a level of typical 18 months old boy right now. She is not sure if the delay is a result of autism or his autistic symptoms are the result of the developmental delay. Overall, she was positive, saying that if he is autistic it has to be very mild. She had few useful recommendations, but overall her advise can be summarised that he need a lot of time and attention. She also recommended to use PECs therapy with him (Picture Exchange). Simplified, the idea is that Little Munchkin can use cards (photographs or pictures) to ask for what he wants, e.g he can point at a picture of grapes glued to a fridge if he wants grapes. It is very simplified explanation.

Today we had a visit from a government speech therapist, who explained more about this method. She is also recommending it. It sounds tacky, but I think it would be hugely useful when we will be teaching Little Munchkin how to build sentences. They are all recommending that I should take a course for parents on this method. The next course is at the end of August. This speech therapist thinks that Little Munchkin is autistic, but that it is very mild. At this point, they really don't know.

Big Munchkin hasn't been too bad last week. This week we are extremely busy. For the whole of this week I only have one two hour unassigned time slot. Next Sunday my DH is flying to New York for most of the next week. So, next week is not looking very good either. With respect to Big Munchkin's Birthday Party, we decided to outsource it to the local soft play centre. She only wants to invite girls, since 'All boys are naughty'. She made an exception for Little Brothers (there are three of them, including Little Munchkin). In total we are going to have 12 or 13 kids. It is not cheap, but at least, all I have to do is to bring the cake. I am looking forward to getting it over with. The whole Birthday Party business is just too stressful and very expensive. I think next year, I am going to nip the bud of the party before it blooms. I might just take Big Munchkin and one or two of her best friends to the Zoo or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home