I haven't been updating the blog for a variety of reasons. Mainly because I've been busy and/or stressed. Last weekend in India we spend in Leela Kovalam resort near Travandram. It is a first time we tried to have vacation with friends. It was great to see them. On the other hand, I missed the opportunity to spend time as a family. I did have a chance to relax. The spa was lovely. Kids had a great time moving between the beach and the swimming pool.
On the way back we had a stop over in Abu Dhabi. I like it a lot more than Dubai. It is a calmer and cleaner place. It was great to see our friends there.
Last week in India was very stressful. We got a very unexpected phone call from London. Last year I put Big Munchkin on a waiting list to a few private schools. I did not expect to hear from any of them now. The idea was that in a two or three years a space would open up and then we can have a choice of whether to transfer Big Munchkin or not. Unfortunately or fortunately, the space have oped up now, and we had to make a decision. If her current state school was a bad one, it would have been an easy decision. Her state school is a very good one. So, it made a decision very hard to make. We spend a lot of money and effort in getting her to the state school and changing it all now is difficult. After many arguments and discussions and comparison-analysis of both schools, we decided to move her to a private school. Academically the private school is better, but I am terrified that Big Munchkin is not going to be as happy there as she was in her state school. On a positive note, Big Munchkin would still be at the nursery in a state school as she is only suppose to start school in January. In a private school she is starting an actual school - reception class - right away. So, we technically have one term to move her back to the state school if she is not settling in the private one. It is a dicey move and I still have to discuss it with the state school, to make sure that they would keep her space open for January just in case. But I think it should be doable. It is a not very nice back up plan from the perspective of the school administration. I am sure they'd rather allocate that space to a kid who would definitely take it, but I have my own kid to think about. As soon as the state school reopens next week, I have to have a serious chat about it.
On the way back we had a stop over in Abu Dhabi. I like it a lot more than Dubai. It is a calmer and cleaner place. It was great to see our friends there.
Last week in India was very stressful. We got a very unexpected phone call from London. Last year I put Big Munchkin on a waiting list to a few private schools. I did not expect to hear from any of them now. The idea was that in a two or three years a space would open up and then we can have a choice of whether to transfer Big Munchkin or not. Unfortunately or fortunately, the space have oped up now, and we had to make a decision. If her current state school was a bad one, it would have been an easy decision. Her state school is a very good one. So, it made a decision very hard to make. We spend a lot of money and effort in getting her to the state school and changing it all now is difficult. After many arguments and discussions and comparison-analysis of both schools, we decided to move her to a private school. Academically the private school is better, but I am terrified that Big Munchkin is not going to be as happy there as she was in her state school. On a positive note, Big Munchkin would still be at the nursery in a state school as she is only suppose to start school in January. In a private school she is starting an actual school - reception class - right away. So, we technically have one term to move her back to the state school if she is not settling in the private one. It is a dicey move and I still have to discuss it with the state school, to make sure that they would keep her space open for January just in case. But I think it should be doable. It is a not very nice back up plan from the perspective of the school administration. I am sure they'd rather allocate that space to a kid who would definitely take it, but I have my own kid to think about. As soon as the state school reopens next week, I have to have a serious chat about it.
